I've read several articles recently about the so-called "Sandwich Generation." This term refers to the generation of people who are both raising their own young children and caring for their aging parents. Thankfully, because my own parents are enjoying relatively good health and independence, I am not faced with this situation. However, I like the idea of having my parents and my children be the bread on a multi-generational sandwich.
One of the benefits of having moved to Washington is that we live close to my parents (about 45 minutes away). Growing up, we were never really very close to our grandparents. My kids see their maternal grandparents almost weekly. My mom teaches them piano lessons. They have a close relationship. The kids love hanging out at their house, and my parents seem genuinely grateful to see them every time. It is a blessing to me to sit back and take it in.
A couple of weeks ago, Sierra prepared a flute solo for the local solo/ensemble competition. My mom accompanied her. The three of us had a great day--preparing for and attending the competition, and then going to lunch together. It was a little emotional for me to watch them together. I was so proud, excited and nervous for Sierra. My mom is a perfect accompanist--she only enhances, never detracts. Sierra had been quite sick and missed school the whole week before the competition. During the second movement, Sierra was struggling to get enough air. At the next natural break, my mom paused and encouraged her to take a sip of water. Sierra immediately resumed confidently and finished strong. It was a little microcosm of their relationship--Grandma giving the gentle suggestion that helped Sierra be her best self.
That same day, my mom commented to me that she hopes that her grown children know that she still feels as much love and gratitude for us now as she did when we were all little chidlren at home. Because I was feeling such an outpouring of love and emotion for my own daughter at the time, it really struck me how much my mother loves me.
Although my own contribution to this multi-generational sandwich is often fairly lame--perhaps just some wilted lettuce or something, I've got some amazingly high-quality bread on both sides.

Anna, I'm so excited to start reading your blog. You are a great writer and do a great job at expressing your thoughts. Thanks for inviting me! :)
ReplyDeleteSweet post Anna. I like the idea too and glad your kids can have that with your parents!
ReplyDelete